afternoon tea
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
afternoon tea

General discussion forum (started for ICAM130)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lord of the Rings

+2
Ceylon
Sota
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lord of the Rings  Empty Lord of the Rings Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:52 pm

Sota

Lord of the Rings is probably the best series of all time.
Like, I wish I lived in that world. How sick would it be to actually have a purpose like saving humanity.

WIth a FUCKING SWORD! YAAAAH!!!

I guess cashiering is ok. And eventually when I get my degree I can help people one at a time. To be less crazy. Maybe some of them are crazy enough to have landed themselves in super sick places like Middle Earth.

Then I would be jealous. and feel kind of bad. This place is not as cool.

I like watching my boyfriends play video games and rpgs and pretending life is cooler than it is.

Like when you see a karate movie and pretty much feel like you could kick anyone's ass.
I wonder why that feeling goes away. I wish I always felt like I could kick anyone's ass if i needed to.

Real life is not as cool as the movies. THANK GOD FOR MOVIES!!!!

People are creative as hell sometimes!

Lord of the Rings rules!!

2Lord of the Rings  Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:04 am

Ceylon

Admin

I like, totally know how you feel!
I want to have that feeling of like, waking up and NEEDING TO DO SOMETHING.
Like, throwing a ring in a mountain of fire! IF YOU DON'T DO IT YOU AND EVERYONE YOU KNOW WILL DIE.
I want that feeling of excitement and necessity but not with my life actually in danger Mad

3Lord of the Rings  Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:13 am

Sota

Right?
Renaissance fairs seem like they would be fun.

Its too bad real life was never as sick as fantasy though...

Its too bad its actually really hard to be someone cool like a knight...or a samurai. You have to work really hard.

Thats why video games are awesome.

hmm but I think I could be Frodo Baggins...just be super whiny and walk really slowly and be indecisive and suck at fighting then throw a ring into a volcano. AND somehow BE A HERO.

wow. WTH. now I'm actually jealous.haha.

4Lord of the Rings  Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:22 am

colorTheory

Lol!!!
Yeah video games are great because you can take the danger out of the excitement.
But working super hard in order to cut stone in two must be SUPER satisfying, doncha think???

5Lord of the Rings  Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:40 am

Renz

Yeah. Its easy to make a game avatar do all the hard work!
Chopping a stone in half with your bare hands is much harder im sure

6Lord of the Rings  Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:05 am

jazzygreen

LOL! and be surrounded by super hot guys?

haha its also kind of like watching the olympics though! i always dream about being a gold medalist after watching an event XD

let's play video games sometime! - something with shooting please

.. i think i ruined the flow of this convo..

7Lord of the Rings  Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:24 am

mementomori

hahahaha!

Maybe the reason the Olympics and video games are so exciting is because we're watching people having to survive through a moment. Unlike the rest of us just lazing around on our couches with no sense of immediate danger.
Perhaps we lost something by building our environments around us?

8Lord of the Rings  Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:36 am

jazzygreen

maybe but are we recreating them by making video games etc?

9Lord of the Rings  Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:50 am

mementomori

jazzygreen wrote:maybe but are we recreating them by making video games etc?

maybe rather than recreating it, it's like using them to place ourselves somewhere else besides ourselves.
Like instead of a college student who has to do two presentations tomorrow, I could be a hero or a villain with some life-threatening task to complete. Or a guitar hero, or race car driver.
People seem to love living a different moment than the current one.
I mean, check out things like drugs and alcohol. They're prevalent in all societies no matter how many laws we make. Why are people so obsessed with them?

10Lord of the Rings  Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:59 am

Ceylon

Admin

mementomori wrote:
People seem to love living a different moment than the current one.
I mean, check out things like drugs and alcohol. They're prevalent in all societies no matter how many laws we make. Why are people so obsessed with them?

I never really understood that, but maybe it makes sense like that.
I've been watching animal documentaries a lot lately and it's like, these animals have evolved to be or do really spectacular things but in the vast majority of cases it's because they NEED to or else they can't survive in whatever environment they're in.
Humans have obviously evolved a great amount, but we're eating three meals a day and generally not fighting to survive so I guess we watch other people or try to experience it second hand.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum